This role will offer you the opportunity to become a core member within our tribe. You will be collaborating with an awesome dev team on innovative and large scale WordPress products and services. We are looking for a full stack developer that is already actively working in the WordPress website and plugin development field. You need to be up to speed and knowledgeable about the most recent releases and standards of WordPress. We want you to be as excited and as passionate as we are about what we are creating with the platform.
Please note: This is not an entry-level position. Experienced WordPress developers with team leadership experience only!
Modern Tribe is committed to a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion. We foster an environment of collaboration, open engagement, fairness and respect regardless of differences in age, race, disability, national origin, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. As a hybrid workspace ranging from distributed contractors to traditional employees, we value the unique perspectives and experiences of our global team.
We come from all walks of life. We are small business owners. We are tattoo aficionados and 80’s movie buffs and ex-pats. We are homeschool teachers. We are single parents. We are musicians, college drop-outs, and entrepreneurs. We are travelers, feminists, runners, volunteers, and makers. We are a Modern Tribe.
Everyday we strive to fulfill our motto: live well and do good work. We hope you will consider joining us.
As a WordPress Full Stack Developer at Modern Tribe, some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Collaborate with project strategists to articulate the best technological solution for the problem at hand
- Analyze user story acceptance criteria to ensure technical feasibility and point out potential issues
- Architect and develop new features and plugins, custom functionality, and theme integration
- Write high quality code with readability, efficiency, and maintainability in mind
- Develop and maintain complex WordPress-based applications
- Code review the work of other developers
- Improve our internal tools, libraries, and standards
- Actively participate in development team and scrum meetings
- Work with your project teams to diagnose and resolve bugs and support requests
- Strong communication skills
- Experience working as part of a remote team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented
- Strong organizational skills
- A methodical approach to all tasks
- Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and complete tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to work remotely with little-to-no supervision is a must
- Excited to be part of a team with the potential for a long term relationship
- Fluent English speaker
Knowledge & Experience
- 5+ years experience working as a backend web developer on production sites
- 3+ years of experience working with frontend technologies on production sites
- 3+ years experience working on WordPress sites
- Experience implementing complex WordPress sites
- Exceptional HTML & CSS (including experience with PostCSS or Sass and BEM) skills
- Skilled at crafting modern PHP (ex: autoloading, dependency management, dependency injection, templating libraries, automated testing, OOP, and/or frameworks like Symfony or Laravel, etc.)
- A comprehensive understanding of what it takes to write secure and performant code
- Thorough knowledge of MySQL
- Ability to work remotely with little-to-no supervision
- Excellent understanding of OOP, software development life cycle, and best practices
- Experience working with at least one automated testing framework (Codeception, Jest, GhostInspector, etc)
- Skilled at clearly conveying technical concepts to both technical and non-technical team members through verbal and written communication
- Remote work experience
- Experience with developing blocks for the Block Editor
- Experience with continuous integration and automated deployment pipelines
- Experience with JS application frameworks
- Experience with server technologies like Redis or Elasticsearch
- Experience building sites that are accessible (you’ve worked with WAI-ARIA and done WCAG 2.0+ AA/Section 508 work) and performant (working knowledge of best practices)
Work from anywhere in North, Central or South America. If your timezone is outside of US business hours but you work at least 4+ hours of overlap each day, let's chat. You must be fluent in English. You just need a computer and a strong wifi signal to support daily video chats with the Tribe.
Pay range is between $65k-$95k per year commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full time role.
We believe that distributed working is a way of life. We understand what it means to work remotely. We offer consistency in expectations, payment, and support. We believe in learning from each other and fostering personal growth. You can expect to learn a lot while working with us. Our full time roles have a benefits package.
(Also, if you work enough with us, we’ll bring you on the team trips.)
Who We Are
Modern Tribe, Inc. is a rapidly growing software & design company. We develop custom solutions for some of the world’s largest companies, government institutions and smaller growing organizations. We pride ourselves on our ability to bridge people and technology and to bring the passion and dedication of an entrepreneur to every project. Our team is composed of talented employees and freelancers around North & South America (and a smattering across the globe).
Who You Are
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work primarily with freelancers and coordinate their talents for large projects. To be on our team, you must be:
- HAPPY: Where there is a will, there is a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other.
- HELPFUL: Always looking for ways that you can help others.
- CURIOUS: It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily, and life has a way of constantly raising the bar.
- ACCOUNTABLE: Our clients expect us to get the right thing done on budget and on time. Communicating expectations and meeting them is the cornerstone of success.