Headquarters: UK - remote
We’re an innovative product incubator with a handful of exciting products focused on edtech and cyber security, which are either already being used by thousands of customers or currently being created. For two of those products, SANS Foundations and Toolbox, we’re in the process of building small and fast moving product teams to help them grow, and need talented designers with strong UI skills for both.
SANS Foundations is the best single course available to learn the core knowledge and develop the practical skills in computers, technology and cyber security fundamentals that are needed to kickstart a career in cyber security. Taught by one of Magnetic Rocks founders, and the CTO of SANS, James Lyne, it is currently propelling thousands of talented people toward a career in cyber security. Designed and built from scratch with a custom UI that includes a course catalogue, interactive quizzes, an immersive labs environment and much more, it’ll provide an excellent challenge for a designer looking to work on a popular and successful product looking to truly become world class. Toolbox is an immersive video platform we’re currently building to ensure those in cyber security succeed with their tools. It’ll be the worlds leading and most trusted resource for security professionals and newcomers alike to discover new tools, keep up-to-date as tools change, and get help finding the right tool for the job. The videos on the platform will be made by some of the smartest and most experienced cyber security professionals on the planet, and it’ll be launching later this year. Whilst some initial UI prototyping work has been done already, the product provides fertile ground for a talented designer who wants to work on a YouTube style product that is going to be innovating well beyond a standard video platform.
About the role As a Product Designer at Magnetic Rock you’ll be aligned to a single product where you’ll drive the design direction alongside a small multi-functional product team - including a dedicated Product Manager, as well as Front and Backend Developers. But you’ll also form part of a wider design group, including other Product Designers, a UX Lead, an Illustrator and Brand Designer, and a Visual Designer - all of which report to one of our founders, the Chief Creative Officer, and a designer himself with over 20 years experience creating businesses and products.
You’ll be working in a fast moving product incubator environment, working on products which are shaping the future of edtech in the cyber security industry. As you’d expect from a business in part led by a designer, we’re building a design- centric culture which will provide you with a great environment to hone your skills and make a direct and meaningful contribution to the success of our products. As the design function is still nascent and growing, you’ll also play a vital role in establishing its approach, processes and overall design philosophy.
Typical responsibilities will include:
- Working with your Product Manager to identify real customer problems and find innovative solutions.
- Creating user flows and wireframes to better understand and improve user journeys throughout your product.
- Building low fidelity prototypes to test new functionality and iterations on real users.
- Designing exceptional quality, engaging and highly functional UI’s, which will include the creation of extensive and robust component libraries in tools like Figma.
- Working with the Front and Backend Developers in your team to implement designs to an extremely high standard.
- Collaborating with our UX Lead on research (like user interviews, usability tests, workshops, product analytics reviews) which help validate we are solving the right problems.
- Working with the Chief Creative Officer and Illustrator to apply a comprehensive brand system to your product which unifies its product UI and marketing approach.
- An excellent knowledge of design fundamentals, with experience applying that knowledge to design solutions to complex product problems.
- Experience designing complex user interfaces and extensive component libraries which are high quality, engaging, accessible and functional.
- 2-3+ years experience working in a product design environment, ideally as the sole or lead designer for a product.
- A strong working knowledge of leading product design tools, especially Figma, but with an appreciation of others like Sketch and the Adobe suite.
- Experience collaborating with UX researchers or designers to identify real customer problems and design well tested and validated solutions.
- A solid understanding of responsive design and designing for accessibility.
- Flexible & remote working. We are a remote-first business with flexibility for you to work in tandem with your home life. We also have access to an office in the Cotswolds so we still meet up regularly, but more for socials.
- Great equipment and software. All team members use high spec hardware and the latest software to make working enjoyable and easy. Plus, we can kit you out with any peripherals you may need.
- Generous holiday. 28 days plus bank holidays per year, and we close over Christmas.
- £1,000 annual training bonus. Self-improvement is an important aspect of our values so we are committed to funding your development, every year.
- Swag bag. We want you to feel welcomed so expect a pretty sweet new starter pack.
- Private health. We offer Vitality health insurance that comes with its own perks from free cinema tickets to a discounted Apple Watch.
- Referral programme. We are growing rapidly so if you introduce us to an amazing person who joins us then we'll pay you £1,000 as a little thank you.
- Thoughtful onboarding. Joining a new company can be daunting, we want you to succeed so we have a programme to get you up to speed with our culture and your role.
- A bigger team. We're part of a collection of companies (including Helical Levity, Spinning Fox and Secure Impact) run by the same leadership team. So there is lots of shared learning and some epic summer parties.
- Quick recruitment. We appreciate finding a job is time consuming and often slow, so we aim to move from first interview to offer within two weeks.