About the role
As a Product Designer at ev.energy you'll be:
- Responsible for conceiving and conducting user research, interviews and surveys to understand the problems they face, how we can solve them and the relative importance of features in addressing their needs
- Turning feedback into low-fi user flows and concepts to iterate with the team
- Making high-definition renders of components, screens and flows for the development team to build
- Building white-label designs of our app for our partners from (sometimes limited!) brand guidelines
- Supporting our Customer Value and Growth teams with beautiful marketing materials and infographics to convey the value of ev.energy
ev.energy enables consumers to charge their EVs in the most cost-effective and least carbon-intense way possible, whilst saving them money! We partner with energy companies such as Igloo Energy, Rolec Services and ESB to deliver tariffs and products which integrate smartly with electric vehicles and their chargers.
We're a small and agile team, but we already serve electricity companies and their customers across the world with pilots ongoing in Europe and North America.
Since we were incorporated two years ago, we’ve grown from 0 to 12500+ users, raised a funding round, collaborated with 15+ energy companies and saved over 25 tonnes of CO2. We were part of Microsoft’s first AI for Good cohort, won the EDF Pulse Innovation Challenge and were named "Best Energy Startup in the World" by Free Electrons 2019.
Design at ev.energy
Our small but driven team is fuelled by empathy, honesty, hard work, and of course, lots of c̶o̶f̶f̶e̶e̶ fun! Although we're small, we're focussed on delivering design excellence in our feature and proposition testing, all the way through to execution. Our track record speaks for itself with a 4*+ rated app on the app store, the highest of all home charging apps available today.
As our new Product Designer, you’ll be a core member of our product team, working alongside our Head of Design to help find and deliver intuitive and delightful solutions to the problems faced by our customers and business partners. Your focus will be on helping us deliver a seamless user experience through our app. However, we’re a collaborative, hands-on bunch, and you might need to take on design projects outside of the job spec at times (we’re a startup after all!). You’ll get the chance to dive headfirst into one of the fastest-growing industries in the world, with opportunities to grow yourself and a team around you.
Our goals for the next year are:
- Grow our user base 10x (with 60,000 new users by July 2021, and over 100,000 by December 2021)
- Launch in five new markets worldwide, including non-English speaking markets and non-EU timezones
- Make our app work for users across different geographies, with various vehicles, charger manufacturers, and energy suppliers
- Deliver new charging services (like charging with your home-generated solar power, or charging on public charging networks)
- Improve our data and analytics offering for our Utility partners so they can better understand how smart charging stabilises their grids and reduces their costs
- Have at least two years of experience working on digital products
- Know your way around digital design tools such as Sketch (which we use for high-fidelity mockups), the Adobe Suite, or Figma
- Be able to follow brand guidelines to re-brand existing designs efficiently, reusing existing components
- Be driven by the user first, unconstrained from technical limitations
- Relentlessly ask “why” when presented with unexpected behaviour
- Have a “get it done” attitude, taking the initiative to tackle design problems proactively
- Seek feedback early and be willing to share early-stage concepts with the team
- Be passionate about decarbonisation and the green future we’re creating!
An awesome applicant will have
- A track record of delivering world-class apps and websites as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Speed and accuracy using Sketch (or Adobe Suite or Figma) to deliver mock-ups and HD renders of apps efficiently
- Hands-on experience leading ethnographic and quantitative user research delivering simple, actionable insights from in-depth research
- Enthusiasm and willingness to take on projects outside of the job spec at times
- EV knowledge and insights into the latest trends in the industry, such as when the next car is coming out, or who the best energy supplier is for EV drivers
We will support you with:
- Flexible working primarily remotely, investing in your home working setup or an office in a location convenient for you
- Funded access to conferences, training and meetups (like Fully Charged Live)
- A top of the range MacBook Pro and all the software you need to work effectively
- Participation in various employee perks and benefits schemes like cycle to work and discounted cinema tickets.
- Team Week once a quarter where the whole team meets to collaborate, socialise and build connections in person!
If you don’t have all of the job requirements, please apply anyway! We would love to hear from all kinds of people and may be able to tailor the role around your abilities and experience. We value applicants from non-traditional backgrounds, startup or tech experience is not a prerequisite.
Ts & Cs
Location: Remote, core hours 10:00 am - 4:00 pm London time
Salary: Starting at £32,000 + annual cost of living adjustment
Annual Leave: 25 Days plus one day per year of tenure (max 30 days) + national holidays
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please, no recruiters, agencies or recruitment platforms.