Home remodeling and construction projects are often a stressful and painful experience – but it doesn’t have to be that way. BuildBook is on a mission to eliminate that stress and bring joy back to home improvement – for everyone involved.
BuildBook is the best construction management platform for home remodelers and builders. Our goal is to become the default choice for the over 550,000 small businesses focused on residential construction and remodeling. It’s a $540B dollar a year industry, and we plan to make a dent in it by creating the best product in the space.
Builders love us because we give them simple, powerful tools to run their business and help them keep their clients happy. Homeowners love us because we give them a feeling of control and help make renovations and new home builds less stressful.
We are a remote-first startup with team members all across the US. We have a small, tight-knit team, a solid product that is gaining momentum daily, and big plans for the future. As an early member of the product team, your work is going to have a major impact on the future of the product and company. You’ll ship your work often and see its impact in the hands of real people every day.
About the Job:
At this stage of our growth, we are looking for a designer who is able to work across the entire design spectrum: UX strategy, customer research, UX/UI design, and Design QA to ensure a high-quality product is shipped.
As an early member of the design team, you’ll have a lot of opportunity for growth both as an individual contributor and/or as a leader. You’ll work directly with the Head of Product & Design to help prioritize, plan and execute our product roadmap. You’ll have plenty of support along the way, working very collaboratively with the entire team – but you’ll also have the freedom to focus and execute on deep work, which we prioritize over meetings.
On a given day, you might be focused on designing a new feature, shaping up a roadmap of features to work on, pitching your own ideas, chatting with a customer to understand their workflow, or providing feedback on a feature that the engineering team is working on.
In your first 30 days, you will:
- Hit the ground running! Inherit Sketch files and InVision prototypes (web, Android, and iOS), and continue design work on an in-flight feature.
- Scope, document, and validate features and help prioritize them in upcoming cycles
- Triage some bugs, and provide any necessary design / spec work for the engineering team to fix them.
- Research and deeply understand our customer by interviewing a few, and sharing prototypes with them for their feedback / insight.
- Present and gather design feedback on a feature from key folks within the company
- Get acclimated to the competitive landscape by experimenting with other platforms.
Qualities we look for:
- You are excited to develop expertise in the residential construction industry
- You are always seeking to improve your design craft, are inspired by emerging best practices, and can articulate your design process and decisions.
- You stay informed of new design patterns, trends, and tools that can help BuildBook maintain its competitive edge
- You develop informed insights about our customers (builders, contractors, and remodelers), and can speak passionately about their needs and problems.
- You are a helpful partner to your teammates in product, engineering, marketing, and leadership, you communicate with positivity, and focus on solutions.
- You are a manager of one: You take ownership, set direction, make calls, and get projects across the finish line without a lot of oversight.
- You clarify goals, prioritize ruthlessly, course correct when needed, and deliver work quickly and confidently.
- Your written communication is clear, concise, and effective, and you keep conversations moving forward through the development pipeline
- You use data (market, qualitative, quantitative, and heuristic) to make informed decisions about what, when, and how to build.
To be considered, you’ll need...
- 5-7 years of experience in high-growth tech startups; B2B SaaS design experience a must
- Senior-level expertise in UI/UX principles, best practices, and tools
- Process-driven approach to digital product design that aligns with Lean/Agile
- Rich knowledge of mobile applications, interfaces, patterns, features, and capabilities
- An ability to derive insights from qualitative and quantitative data
- Expert communication skills that can leverage the benefits – and overcome the drawbacks – of being a fully distributed product and engineering team
- The ability to be autonomous, driven, and self-directed
- A scrappy, fast-moving mentality and a positive attitude
We’ll be even more impressed if you…
- Have an understanding of HTML/CSS/JS
- Know the residential construction / remodeling space
- Have worked on project management software
- Are experienced in working remotely or with distributed teams
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter that speaks directly to this position. Tell us about yourself, and tell us what interests you about this role at BuildBook. Share your past experience, portfolio of projects, lessons learned, and what excites you about designing products.
For selected applicants, expect 2-3 interviews with your future colleagues to talk through your past experience and approach to design. We’ll share what it’s like to work here, more details about the role, and answer any questions that you have.
From there, candidates will be given a small at-home design exercise that is representative of the work you’d be doing at BuildBook. This helps us understand your design process, and how you approach problems from scratch.
Compensation & Benefits:
We offer competitive compensation based on your experience and capabilities, as well as:
- A generous benefits program that supports the whole you with medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and 401(k)
- Paid holidays and flexible, take-it-as-you-need-it paid time off
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup backed by top-tier VCs
- Monthly tech reimbursements
- A culture built on innovation that values big ideas, no matter where they come from