Maharishi Foundation International (MFI) is a US-registered non-profit that supports the development of new technologies and outreach opportunities for the worldwide Transcendental Meditation® (TM®) organisations. Over the past 60 years, more than 10 million people worldwide have learned the TM technique through personal instruction by tens of thousands of certified teachers.
MFI is a growing, fully remote team of nearly 50 people, located around the globe but mainly in North America and Europe. As an organisation we are committed to leveraging modern technology and progressive management practices to make the TM technique and its related programmes more available to people everywhere.
We favor a healthy and balanced work environment with opportunities for personal development.
We are looking for a front-end engineer with a proven track record of developing React applications. As we are a small but growing team, you will be responsible for the maintenance and support of existing features as well as planning and scoping new feature additions and iterations.
Applicants should have a proven track record working on large scale, consumer-facing products with complex UX/UI. Applicants should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, where each individual has a lot of influence and responsibility to deliver. Applicants should be comfortable understanding requirements and asking questions when details important to the implementation are missing. If hired, you will play a vital role in the planning, development and release of features for our back office and consumer facing websites.
The front-end is built with React. We unit test with Jest and run integration tests with Cypress. The back-end is built in AWS using DynamoDB, Cognito, and Lambda (Node.js). Local development and stack deployment is managed using the Serverless framework and CI pipelines have been implemented using CircleCI. Experience with any of these is a big plus.
You are passionate about creating beautiful, modern, and intuitive user interfaces. You enjoy and are comfortable creating code that works effectively across browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc). You understand API architecture, and can take a data model and translate it into reusable and flexible components. You enjoy shipping clean, readable and reusable code. You are able to plan out and estimate the work needed to deliver a feature. You are comfortable working on a distributed team spread across timezones and cultures. You are excited to use technology to have a positive impact in the world as a whole, and in an intimate way for each individual.
- Development and maintenance of the features you own, and work with our team to continue testing and releasing features
- Ensure the performance, quality, and responsiveness of the application
- Collaborate with engineering, design, and product teams, contribute to the definition of specifications for new features, and own the development of those features
- Help the team by following existing engineering principles and best practices
- Proactively identify and solve bottlenecks; fix bugs and performance issues
- Maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Ensure testing strategy is followed within the team - for unit and integration tests
- Improve team best practices by contributing to team retrospectives
- Communicate status/goals with consistent check ins
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven experience in React web app development
- Experience with Typescript, Node.js, and REST
- Proficient with code versioning tools (Git)
- Solid understanding of web app development using aws as a backend (preferable aws serverless)
- Attention to detail to ensure a consistent, responsive UI
- Good understanding of best practices to create fast, scalable React applications
If you are passionate about this work but do not have all of the skills listed we are still interested in speaking with you and encourage you to apply!
Pay and benefits
Our pay levels are set according to a formula that combines above-median New York market rate data for the role (we use 65th percentile of market rate for this role, based on Payscale data) adjusted for your local cost of living based on Numbeo data.
As this is an Engineering role, we pay the midway point between the New York market rate adjusted for your local cost of living, and the unadjusted New York rate.
We take the issue of equitable pay very seriously, and we apply our pay formula to all workers who work 80% or more of full time hours with us.
Diversity and inclusion
We care about diversity - we strive to ensure all of our team feel included and can bring their whole selves to work but we also know that this work is never ‘done’ or complete, and that we can always improve.
Our team is fully remote, living and working across 20 countries across the world, and we’d love to hear how you can add to our special culture at MFI.