Headquarters: Suburban Philadelphia, PA
At Power, we build our own application suite of products to run our entire business. We create complete solutions for finance, recruiting, sales, contact center, and even meeting software. We also build solutions for augmented reality in the home, satellite photo measurements, and artificial intelligence suggestion engines. We’re a tech powerhouse built inside a remodeling company.
As UX Director, you will lead and guide a growing user experience team of 20, which designs and defines the optimal information architecture, flow, taxonomy, navigation, and style of our huge ecosystem called Nitro. Nitro is Power's business operating system. Your leadership will continue to build a top-quality user experience team by defining the design vision, standards, guidelines, best practices, and improvements around how the user experience team interacts with other groups. Your creative thought leadership will drive visual design by combining industry best practices with your expertise and insights about human behavior.
You will lead the efforts of our very own design system called Playbook. The ideal candidate will take a systems-mindset to build and integrate consistent, efficient components across the product portfolio. Emphasis will be on the complete systems life-cycle, from establishing a practice and vision that endures to design, build, document, and maintain a library used by many product teams.
- Reports to the Head of User Experience
- Understands the importance of a design system and how it powers the business, to evolve Playbook Design System by Power
- Recruits, mentors, and develops strong experience design and design system teams
- Leads design and design system teams in near and long-term planning of projects, ideation, selection of tools, design process, and concept explorations
- Empowers UX designers and developers to learn and creates an environment that facilities shared learnings
- Gives feedback to designers and developers at various project stages (concepts, development of systems and elements, execution of screens, creation of animations and iconography, etc) in design reviews, team critiques, and 1:1s to improve the output, efficiency, and quality of their UI/UX execution and deliverables
- Partners with Product and Engineering Leadership on UI/UX roadmap. Collaborates to define the strategy and experience of consumer-facing products
- Communicates and presents ideas, designs, and solutions to senior management, cross-functional teams, and collaborates with stakeholders to advocate for “what’s best for the end-users”
- Fosters strong relationships with stakeholders and effectively advocate for design strategy, product vision, and goals
- Decisively resolve design system priorities, timing, risks, task importance, and possible breaking changes
- Clarifies scope of design system and balances delivering an MVP with a properly scalable system
- Identifies, monitors, and reports on system usage across the business. Interviews and fosters discussions with others using the design system
- Challenges the design system team on what to automate vs manually perform
- 10+ years related work experience
- 2+ years of design management experience or in a leadership role
- A portfolio of work demonstrating design abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design, Information Architecture, HCI, or related field / equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience using Figma preferred
- Experience working in a fast-paced, highly cross-functional organization
- Passion for understanding audiences and their behavior
- Strong analytical and technical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously of varying size and scope
- Self-motivated, interest in new tools and technology
- Great team chemistry and fosters a fun collaborative work environment
- An expert in design system strategy and execution
- A track record of overseeing large bodies of work and delivering multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Built or managed a design systems teams
- You have been proactive in bringing together groups of individuals to solve a problem
- You can communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary - We pay very well at market rates reflecting both location and experience.
- Full medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans that can be tailored to your specific needs and the needs of your family
- A competitive 401(k) retirement savings program matched by Power
- All the tech you need - We'll pay for whatever hardware and software you need to work and make sure you're regularly upgraded to the latest versions
- Personal development - Personal development books, courses, & conferences.
- Paid vacations and holidays
- Paid parental leave - When the time comes to welcome a new member of the family, we offer paid parental leave.
- We bring our tech teams together 3 times per year for a week-long conference focused on internal development and improvement.
- Remote, within 3 hours of EST or Hybrid at our HQ just outside of Philadelphia, PA.
About Tech at Power
Our teams are distributed, so we live and die by our ability to successfully collaborate. We collaborate using our own slack-like chat client we built internally. We use our home grown handoff tools to support our User Experience team as they create and collaborate with the development and business groups.
We’re innovating fast and making an impact on our customers’ and employees’ lives in significant ways. You will be part of a team that is leading innovation by combining technology, industry expertise, and entrepreneurial experience to massively impact employees’ of Power as well as our customers’.
The user experience team is a tight-nit diverse team made up of UX Designers and UX Engineers. We value diversity of all types at Power and our team is made up of a kind, thoughtful group of people with a wide range of backgrounds. We appreciate designers who think deeply, speak clearly, and work collaboratively. If you are interested in a career where your hard work is always noticed and appreciated among a team of true professionals, then this is the place for you.
With a distributed group it’s important to connect in person, so we fly the whole distributed team to Philadelphia 3 times a year for our week-long event called Create, focusing on connecting and learning from each other and the business.
At Power we have all the upsides of a startup, we move fast, ship rapidly, iterates quickly, but with the benefit of an established organization that is well funded and profitable. The biggest perk of working at Power is that we have a tight-nit, talented team with a very large audience. This means you have the ability to have a huge impact on the product and the company, whilst also having really interesting and challenging problems to work on. We believe deeply in what we do and we're all in this to build something lasting, sustainable, and positive.
Power has been awarded Computerworld’s Best Places to Work in IT, Fortune Magazine’s #1 Workplace for Millennials, one of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work, one of Inc. 5000’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies, and Philadelphia Magazine Coolest Companies.